The University of California: Santa Cruz
|College||University of California at Santa Cruz|
|Location||Santa Cruz, California|
|Dates||Session 1: July 2 - July 21 | Session 2: July 23 - August 11|
|Years of Operation||1998-present|
|Avg. Number of Students||200|
|Humanities||Cognitive Psychology | Great Cases: American Legal History | Logic: Principles of Reasoning | Philosophy|
|Writing||Crafting the Essay | Fiction and Poetry | Writing and Imagination | Writing Your World|
|Math||Inductive and Deductive Reasoning | Mathematical Logic | Paradoxes and Infinities | The Mathematics of Money|
|Science||Introduction to Astronomy | Introduction to Robotics | Principles of Engineering Design | The Physics of Engineering|
|Staff||Santa Cruz Staff|
|Memories||Santa Cruz Memories|
|Hall of Fame||Santa Cruz Hall of Fame|
|Hall of Shame||Santa Cruz Hall of Shame|
- Porter A&B (residence halls)
- Porter C Dinning Hall
- The Squiggle/Squiggle field
- The Fishbowl
- Oaks College
- Oaks Field
- Rachel Carson College
- Porter College
- Social Sciences I and II
- Oaks Trail
- Lower Quad
- Upper Quad
- Four Square
- Intergalactic Space Battle
- Volleyball Circle
- Tennis Baseball
- Cloud Watching (sometimes without clouds)
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Arts and Crafts
- Pet Rock Making
- Fuse Beads
- Dance Decorations
- Friendship Bracelets
- Pointless Debates
- Square Dancing
- Critic (students go around and critique other activities performance)
- Pokémon Go
- Reader's Digest
- Casino Practice
- Nature Walk
- Band Practice
- Four Square
- Volleyball Circles
- Canon Songs. This includes American Pie, (which at the last dance includes instructors, TAs, and RAs, who make a circle inside of the lager student one) as well as several line dances.
- Creating fan instagrams for instructors, RAs, and TAs. (23.2 Caden5012 shenanigans)
- Silly gossip time, a quad/hall/early dance/pretty much any time specialty, especially in girl's halls.
- Casino Night
- Talent Show
- Singing "I Want it That Way" at all times constantly (23.2).
- Birthday celebrations in halls, often including singing happy birthday at the top of your lounges at some point during every meal of the day, whether or not there even is a birthday in the first place. In 23.2 one hall sang happy birthday thrice a day for nearly a week to one hall member. This student became notorious and receive birthday greetings every day for the rest of the session.
On the weekends halls spend the majority of their time sleeping in through optional breakfast, having sleepovers on all non-week nights, and chilling out in the halls. Laundry is also done on weekends primarily, although it varies depending on the hall.
On Fridays, CTYers only have one activity, and skip evening class for the dance, then on weekends the morning up until lunch is open, then there is typically both an afternoon and evening activity, which is evening class on Sundays.
Afternoon activities are traditionally Carnival first Saturday with Color Wars on Sunday, and CTY Olympics second Saturday, with some other activity like a movie or sports tournament on Sunday. Casino Night is on first Saturday evening, and the Talent Show is on second Saturday evening.
The Santa Cruz site is known for being very strict. CTYers must be escorted everywhere by a teacher or RA, including to the bathroom during class or meals. Lights out is enforced by RAs who walk outside the perimeter of the dorm buildings looking for lights on in the windows. Thankfully most of these restrictions were put in place by Big CTY, and most RAs and instructors are pretty chill compared to other sites.